A family has been left without a home for the foreseeable future after a fire started by a charging vaper gutted the property.
Firefighters were called to the home in Maldon, Essex, on Tuesday afternoon following reports of a large blaze. Essential Oil Vape
Crews that arrived on the scene found the first floor of the house full of smoke, while a bedroom was completely on fire.
The blaze had spread to the roof before it was eventually put out, Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said.
Watch manager Martin Cable, of Maldon Fire Station, said the home was so badly damaged that the occupants will not be able to live there "for some time".
He added: "The fire started in the bedroom where a vape, which was plugged into a charger, was left on the bed unattended.
"The vape overheated and caught the bedding and mattress alight. The fire then spread around the bedroom.
"Incidents like this show how important it is to think about how you should charge your electrical items safely.
"We advise that you only use a reputable charger, and not a cheap alternative which are often not tested or conform to safety standards."
Cable recommended people not leave electrical items unattended while charging and leave them on fire-resistant surfaces.
Fire services this week also highlighted an increase in tumble dryer fires amid the cost of living crisis.
With power sometimes costing less at night, many Britons have used their tumble dryers overnight but overheating and crumpled filters have resulted in an uptick in fires.
Experts recommended not using tumble dryers overnight, while also advising the installation of smoke detectors in homes.
Disposable Vapes 3000 Puffs Our editors will email you a roundup of their favourite stories from across AOL